i made these babies because they are my dad's favorite candy. they are making their way to california via fed ex for father's day. they are not as pretty as store bought ones, but what they lack in beauty they make up for in love!
Thursday, June 12, 2008
-jar of about 40 ish maraschino cherries (you can get non poison, high fructose corn syrup, artificial color ones at whole foods and health stores.)
-1/2 cup of powdered sugar
-1/4 cup of non dairy butter
-1 tsp of vanilla extract
-bag of vegan chocolate chips
-splash of non dairy milk
1. drain maraschino cherries and dry them on a paper towel
2. combine the sugar, butter, and vanilla together to make a thick dough
3. cover each of the cherries with a thin layer of the dough
4. once covered put the cherries in the fridge until the dough has stiffened a little (at least 30 min)
5. melt chocolate with a splash of non dairy milk by microwaving in 30 second intervals (avoid burning, by stirring during intervals)
6. dip the cherries in the chocolate mixture, covering completely
7. lay the covered cherries on parchment paper and refrigerate
the cherries are best after sitting for several days. the one i thieved from my dad's gift box was fantastic!